Recognizing Impairment in the Workplace (2CE)
- Define the terms abuse, dependence, impairment, substance use disorder, and addiction.
- Identify the prevalence of substance use disorder among nurses.
- Distinguish the risk factors, signs, and symptoms of impairment.
- Discuss the legal obligation to report on impairment and analyze the necessary steps to complete a report.
- Evaluate the available treatment programs for nurses.
- Describe a safe, transparent, and nonjudgmental workplace.
Human Trafficking (2CE)
- Define human trafficking and the forms of human trafficking.
- List vulnerabilities that place individuals at increased risk of becoming a victim of human trafficking.
- Identify general indicators that a person may be a victim of human trafficking.
- Apply screening questions that can be utilized to identify victims of human trafficking.
- Describe health consequences of human trafficking.
- Discuss social service programs available to human trafficking victims.
- Understand hotline services available for reporting human trafficking.
- Recognize who the trafficker is and why they traffick.
- Restate the role of the healthcare worker in caring for human trafficking victims.
Laws & Rules Governing the Practice of Nursing (2CE)
- Discuss the agencies in the State of Florida that makes the statutes, enforce, and define the rules and codes governing nursing.
- Describe the differences between laws, codes and rules.
- Understand and describe the legislative purpose for the Nurse Practice Act.
- Verbalize specific laws and rules related to the practice of nursing and nurse-assisting
- Discuss the general requirements for continuing education in the State.
- Define the general requirements for license renewal in the State
HIV/AIDS Prevention, Transmission and Exposure (1CE)
- Name and distinguish between AIDS transmission myths and realities.
- Identify at-risk populations.
- Explain the global impact of the AIDS pandemic.
- Identify preventative measures, stages, treatment guidelines for HIV.
- Identify OSHA standards regarding bloodborne pathogens.
- Describe the stipulations of the Florida Omnibus Act.
Domestic Violence (2CE)
- Identify the significance of domestic violence, both within the population at large and within the medical setting.
- List the types of domestic violence: their causes, behaviors, and processes.
- Identify the typical presentation of physical and psychological symptoms.
- Explain how to assess victims of domestic violence and document findings.
- Recognize how to locate local community resources that assist victims of domestic violence.
- Recognize that domestic violence affects millions of Americans, and it often goes unreported.
- Identify the various types of domestic violence prevalent in the U.S.
- Recognize the populations affected by domestic violence, including intimate partner violence, elder abuse and neglect, and child abuse and neglect
- Apply screening and intervention protocols appropriate for the potential victim of domestic violence.
- Recognize the importance the role of the healthcare professional has in combating and eliminating domestic violence.
Reduction of Medical Errors (2CE)
- Describe the magnitude of medical errors and the effect on patient safety.
- Describe processes to improve patient outcomes.
- Recognize error prone situation/processes.
- Identify factors that impact the occurrence of errors.
- Define the process and benefit of multi-causal analysis (root causes).
- Describe his/her responsibility for reporting medical errors as related to the policies and procedures of his/her particular facility.
- Identify safety needs of special populations.
- Discuss educational needs of patients/families.
- Discuss the importance of public education regarding medical errors.