A&P and Assessment (1.5 CEU)
1. Name the microstructures of the neurological system and describe their functions, including impulse conduction and neurotransmitters.
2. List the macrostructures of the neurological system and identify their locations in the body.
3. Describe the major functions of the neurological system's macrostructures.
4. Explain the intracranial dynamics of the neurological system including the Monroe-Kellie hypothesis and autoregulation of intracranial pressure.
5. Identify types and causes of herniation syndromes.
6. Summarize the steps involved in basic and complex neurological assessment.
7. Identify common diagnostic tests used for neurological assessment and diagnosis including use, data generated, and related nursing protocols.
Brain and Spinal Cord Injuries (1.5 CEU)
1. Define traumatic brain injury and identify the various types of injury.
2. Describe the treatment guidelines for traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), including special nursing care considerations.
3. Name the steps critical to initial care for TBI victims.
4. Identify the mechanisms and types of spinal cord injuries.
5. Differentiate between complete and incomplete functional loss.
6. Describe treatment and patient care considerations for patients with spinal cord injuries.
Disease States and Medications (1 CEU)
1. Understand seizure and treatment modalities.
2. Recognize CNS infections, causes and treatments.
3. Identify the various neuromuscular diseases, and diagnosis and treatment for each.
4. Identify the various brain tumors and therapeutic treatments available.
5. Identify the various medications utilized in the neuroscience arena.
Strokes (1.5 CEU)
1. Differentiate between epidural and subdural hematomas. Describe the causes, diagnosis, treatment and nursing care for each type of hematoma.
2. Classify intracranial, intraventricular, and subarachnoid hemorrhage, and identify the causes, diagnosis, treatment and nursing care for each type of stroke.
3. Identify arteriovenous malformation, and describe the causes, treatment and nursing care.
4. Describe the causes, treatment and nursing care for ischemic stroke.