Certification Course: This certification course is designed for therapists and assistants who work with persons with soft tissue or neurologic conditions requiring the use of ultrasound or electrical stimulation therapies to foster improved occupational participation. This course covers the didactic portion of the Florida licensure requirements for physical agent modalities. Client check off forms will be provided at the course for participants to complete the following this course.
Target Audience: Occupational Therapists and Occupational Therapy Assistants
Accreditation: This course has been approved for 8 hours of continuing education.
Course Presenter: Raphael Rios, OTD, OTR/L, CHT brings 20+ years of experience in the area of physical dysfunction, with specialization in upper extremity management. He began his career working in skilled nursing and hospital settings where he gained extensive experience treating individuals with neurological, orthopedic and multi trauma injuries. Raphael has worked in outpatient clinics where his main focus has been in hand and upper extremity diagnoses.
He has lectured, to professionals, on custom orthotics fabrication, physical agent modalities and management of the shoulder complex. Throughout his career, he has been involved with level one and level two field work students from statewide universities. Raphael is a faculty member at AdventHealth University teaching orthotics and modalities courses.
Upon completion of this certification course attendees will be able to:
- Describe the physiological effects of ultrasound and electrical stimulation.
- Explain the role of ultrasound and electrical stimulation in rehabilitation and expected outcomes.
- Become knowledgeable in the general indications, contraindications and precautions when using ultrasound and electrical stimulation.
- Choose the most appropriate modality depending on the diagnosis.
- Administer therapeutic ultrasound and electrical stimulation safely and with the proper dosage/parameter selection.
- Properly document ultrasound and electrical simulation treatments.
- Operate and describe characteristic of ultrasound and electrotherapy equipment.
- Describe normal and abnormal tissue responses to electrical stimulation and ultrasound.
- Understand Ohm's law of electricity.
- Understand physical laws related to passage of currents through various media.
Conflicts of Interest
There have been no conflicts of interest disclosed by planners, authors, or presenters; nor has there been disclosure of any relevant financial relationships with any commercial companies or their products pertaining to this activity.
Commercial Company Support
This course is not supported by any commercial companies nor are there any staff commercial affiliations.
Non-Endorsement of Products
AdventHealth University (AHU), as an accredited provider, has demonstrated proficient experience and viable resources to provide for valid and reliable evaluation of CE activities. The accuracy of the facts and opinions contained in this activity are the responsibility of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect those of AHU or its sponsors. Practitioners should consult primary resources, state regulations, and their healthcare facility policies and procedures for specific application of said content to their local situation. AHU does not imply that there is real or implied endorsement of any product, service, or company neither referred to in this course nor of any company subsidizing costs related to this activity. All information contained in this activity is for educational purposes only.
All activity records are kept on file for a minimum of six (6) years.